Monday, May 5, 2014

Jonah Update

I'm back.  I decided I wanted to start blogging again for family history value.  I want to record Life for the kiddos but it's always hard to start back up when you've taken a such a long blog vacation.  Be kind as I try to strengthen up my writing muscles again.  So I'll restart as I usually restart...

With an update on the boys.  I mean, they are the reason I keep this history.

Let's start with JB.  


This crazy kid turned 5 at the end of last year and though hasn't grown much physically, he has grown a ton emotionally.  He's always been very competitive, stubborn, quite self righteous and hasn't gotten along well with many kids.  But lately "sharing is caring" has been his mantra and play dates go so much better.  It's like night and day.  Go figure.  I love it!

His "zombie face"

He's Williams man.  He's a quoter of everything movies or TV. He does accents as well! Some of the stuff that comes out of this kid's mouth is baffling. 

For example...

Last week Jonah and I were in the playroom with a random collection of action figures, going on quests from the Batcave.  I dropped one of our recruits and I got quite the reprimand.

He looks at me calmly, "Mom, if you break my toys, you will force me to shut you out of the family dynamic."

Whaa???

Lucas had to clue me in that it's from Phineas and Ferb.

________

Today the cousins were over and we were all picking up readying to go home. I grabbed a plastic Power Rangers mask off the table and to my surprise out popped my head-sized, white ceramic apple do-da thing that I keep on our coffee table.  It splattered all over the kitchen floor.  After of moment of surprise, Jonah burst into sobs. "It was SO beautiful and it's my fault it's broken!!"

He runs upstairs and slams his bedroom door.  After I clean up, I go to comfort my weeping boy.  We lie on the bed together and looks in my eyes and just sobs, "I broke our only lovely thing!  Now we have no more things that our lovely in our home!!"

He pauses and smiles.  "No, we still do!  We still have you!" 

_____________

We were in sacrament meeting one Sunday and Jonah started making loud zerbert noises on my arm.  I of course quieted him and tried to talk to him about reverence, that people were praying, thinking about Jesus and asking forgiveness for their sins.

He casually looks around and states, "Yeah. I'm not gonna do that."
_____________
Jonah earned $.75 for picking up all my wood scraps from the dining table I was making. A penny for every piece.  :)  He then decided he wanted to buy something at the "Home Store" and bought 9 Hershey kisses from me.  3 per quarter.

He went to tell his dad and I noticed he was walking funny. So I asked him of he was poopy.  He looked me in the eye and said, "No."

"So I can look right now and your underpants will be clean?"

"Um...."

 "Are you poopy!?"

 "No."

 "Then let me look."

 "Um, ok. I am poopy.  Please don't tell Daddy." (He knew Daddy would be very disappointed.)

 He went to time out for lying to me.  I sat in front of him and talked about lying.  That it drives away the Spirit, makes me sad and Daddy sad and it makes him (JB) sad.

 As a matter of fact as it gets, he looks me in the eye and states, "No it doesn't.  Look, I'm not sad."  

This kid!

He goes on, "What would make me sad is if you died and I couldn't cuddle with you any more!" Pulls out the poppy-dog eyes.  " Would you be sad if I died?...  But you don't have to worry because my spirit would stay by you and protect you forever." 

And the thing is, he's sincere. He actually has a huge heart when he wants to.  He loves to cuddle and kiss and he's quite the momma's boy.  He loves to wrestle with his dad and go swimming with him as much as possible.  He bugs Lucas as much as he can and Lucas bugs right back.  It usually ends up with both of them on the floor wrestling good naturedly.


Halloween 2013
Jonah loves people!  He is not afraid of anyone and talks incessantly to whomever will listen. It's so funny to me how many people come up to me at church saying Jonah is their special buddy.  He just loves people.  I sometimes have to take him to YW activities with me when Aaron is out of town and that kid is in heaven!  He is the biggest flirt. He'll snuggle right up to any of them, give them hugs out of the blue or snatch their phones running away with glee.


I couldn't find a more fitting video of how Jonah attacks life....


1 comment:

  1. Frankly, I am totally surprised that the apple do da thing has lasted this long. That boy certainly does speak his mind. You descriptions are SO right on. Thanks so much! Isn't he a case?

    ReplyDelete