Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Wienerhead

I've been wanting to make this for a while and finally sat down and got 'er done.  It's more word art and it's for our living room.  {THIS} is my favorite one I did years ago. 

Instead of places, I made this one with a lot of our family's inside jokes.  The lettering turned out wonkier than desired, but oh well.  Too late.  These are things we say that mean 'I love you' and "no cheating."   They are games we made up, pet names and songs we sing.  There's a little story behind every one.  I won't take the time to explain them all but I thought I'd clarify one.



When Lucas was little, around four, we tried to teach him to be a good sport and good winner.  We taught him that when he won a game, he looks his opponent in the eye and says, "Good game. You played well." Well, some time later we are in Utah visiting the grandparents and Grandpa makes his way downstairs and finds Lucas playing with his figures.  Apparently they have just finished up some feats of strength because one says to the other, "Good game. You played well....wienerhead."

Grandpa passed that little anecdote along and it stuck.  Every game, every contest, someone somewhere always restates that phrase.

Now I had to include the phrase but I didn't really want the word "wiener" anywhere on my living room wall so I thought an asterisk would be better.  I think now it looks like it's replacing a much stronger word than wiener. But it is what it is.  People can just think we got dirty mouths in the Williams household.




This one I made for Lucas' band fundraising auction.  He asked me and asked me to make one, even told his band teacher I was going to make one. I have to admit I really didn't want to.  I was busy. I was tired. I didn't want my little home projects on display for the school to bid on.  But in the end, I made one.  The night before.  And it really wasn't my best work, so many words off kilter (but I guess really that's my norm).  Anyway, I did it for Lucas.  I didn't wait around to see how much it went for.  I really didn't want to know.


I've been working on the master bedroom for a while and I ventured to try a new wall "art."  That stringy project will be posted soon.

3 comments:

  1. That is TOO funny! I didn't even think of that * until you pointed it out. Huh-larious. Great job though, what a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my second time reading this and I'm still smiling about it. I didn't catch the possible meaning of the asterix at first, either. What a terrific idea. The boys will always remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't think about the * till you pointed out it could be a much stronger meaning. Then I laughed. Thanks for the chuckle! I think your word art looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete