Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Here we go again...

How long has it been since I wrote?? Last year I actually sent out the blog address in our Christmas cards and then I have never written again.  :)  Sorry, Grandma!

Well, I'm back.  And as usual when I don't write for a while, I start with an update on our boys.  (It ended up kind of random.  I need to get back in the blogging groove.)

 Let's commence with our little one with the big personality, shall we?
This is not the best family picture we've taken but I love it & it's going up on our wall because it succinctly defines our family these days.
Jonah is a loud, out-going, always singing or whining, in-your-face kind of child.

He turned 4 on December 30th.  He got to celebrate with his Grandma who was visiting for Christmas. As a child who eats about 10 foods and cake not being one of them, his birthday was a cinch.  Grandma chose a coconut cream pie and JB got a mug of M&M's!  Done & done.



He is obsessed with LEGO Star Wars lately.  I've become his gaming partner basically by default.  It's actually become a good activity together as he tries to learn patience, team work, cooperation, taking turns, not whining or yelling and not giving up.  He is passionate about his gaming so it regularly gets turned off prematurely due to many a melt downs. 

And you can tell he plays with his older brother and his friends.  I laugh at the phrases that come out of that kid's mouth....

"That character is BEAST!" (that means good)
"Aw, man.  He's all up in my grill!" (meaning he won't leave me alone)
"I'm conternament to win these guys!"  (I figured out he meant "determined")
"For Pete's sake!!" (Actually that comes from me who got it from Aaron who got it from his father. It's a Williams phrase.)

One time I hopped on a blaster thingy and started shooting up the whole place and said, "Feel the power!"  Jonah sweetly turns to me and says, "Yes!  Feel the power of my LOVE.  The power of my love, Mom.."

Jonah has also been way into Play-doh these last few days.  My favorite lines have been (as he's sawing his Play-doh man in half) "I'm a magical genius! No!! I'm an evil scientist!  Mwa-ha-ha!"  And (when he couldn't figure out how to get one piece flat), he turns to me and sighs, "Mom. I must have gone to Jupiter because I am more stupider."

This kid has more confidence than I have ever felt. .  He makes himself comfortable anywhere, asking strangers their name, how old they are., what's that red thing on their face.  He has friends of all ages in church as he makes his rounds and says hello to every one.  There's this one young woman that I don't even know that he always runs up yelling, "My best friend!" while giving her a hug.  And she always looks up at me like I have no idea who this kid or why he is my best friend, but I'll hug him back.  I just shake my head and let him be him.

Last week we were leaving the play place at our gym and he was saying goodbye to Chris, one of his favorite caretakers.  Chris says, "Bye Jonah! Have a great day."  Jonah turns to him and sing/yells, "Wup. Wup. Gangman style!"  And strikes a fabulous pose.  I just shake my head as I walk him out the door with him still singing, "He-e-ey, 'extra' ladies!"   He has no filter between his brain and mouth and his brain usually makes me laugh.

One day he turns to me out of the blue and states, "I love balloons. They're kind a my thing." And walked away.

He is working with a speech/occupational therapist with his eating.  He starts an actual group at the end of March.  A 12 week program with 3-4 other kids with eating issues.  But we've had a little success with the tips they have given us.  Jonah ate about 15 pieces of white rice the other day!  Actually swallowed!  There is hope.


Which so nice, because I feel no hope with potty training.  (Yes. I am writing about potty training.  I thought I never would, but it truly exemplifies part of his personality.  Skip if you do not want to know.) Anyway, Jonah pee-trained in a day last summer.  Dry at night and throughout the day.  No problem at all.  The other has been a different story.  We've tried everything we know: charts, stickers, candy, toys, regular practice time, laxatives, etc.  After one particularly rough day, I was changing his underwear YET again and he looks straight into my eyes, and states "If I want to poop in my underwear, I can. You can't stop me."   No. I can't and it drives me crazy.  "Stubborn" is his middle name and I have to regularly remind him who is in charge.  And it's not him, much to his surprise.

He loves preschool and luckily he has the most patient & sweetest teachers ever.


He sure loves his daddy and thinks there is nothing greater than wrestling with him.


He runs all day and falls unconscious at night.

 I love this crazy, l.o.u.d., exuberant kid. Not one day has gone by that I haven't thanked my Father in Heaven for the two boys He has blessed us with.  They're kind a my thing.

5 comments:

  1. That whole post made me laugh. What a kid!!!! And that family portrait is the greatest one I have ever seen. I hope you blow it up to 16x20.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nat, you are such a GREAT writer! You could write such darling stories for children based on the antics of your own kids! Love you all, Mum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad to see a post from you :) I was wondering where you'd gone... Love the stories, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay your back. Jonah is a cool kid. I hope his eating improves with his group and maybe potty training will improve with it. In your family photo you are looking beautiful as always =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt so joyful as I read about Jonah. Some of his personality does remind me of his father. The stubborn part reminds me of his paternal grandfather. Hopefully when the eating challenge diminishes, the potty training will pick up. We're praying for you. It does feel somewhat awkward approaching the lord in potty-training lingo.

    ReplyDelete