Tuesday, March 19, 2013

heart on a string

I've been working on our master bedroom these last few months. Ideas and plans have come and gone and it's finally coming together in some sort of way. 

Here's one of the first projects I did.  I got the idea from one of my favorite decor blogs, Vintage Revivals.  She did a super great string art project. You can see the whole tutorial HERE.  But the here's the final inspiration project.  Basically using nails and string you create a pattern or words or shapes.



I loved the original concept.  Inexpensive, adaptable to any color and can be personalized.  I decided I wanted to put something over the headboard in the room, so I went with a rectangular board.  I had Home Depot cut particle board to the size I wanted and then painted it white.  I'm using gold in this room so I bought brass nails.   I originally went with a longer saying.  One of our saying meaning "I love you."

I printed it out on the computer and taped it to the board.

I measured 1.5 inches in along the edges of the board for border nails and then started nailing along the outline of the words.

I soon realized my phrase was too long and I got bored/tired quickly.  I had trouble getting the nails in straight and I was getting frustrated. So, I decided to just change my plan. I'm used to that.  So I went with a shorter word and a larger font.  Much easier.

Everything went great until I hit the middle of the board.  The line pattern I started out with was not translating to the longer side of the board.  It would just look wonky. (I tend to use that word a lot with my projects. :)  So I put it aside for a while to let myself ruminate on the problem. (Jonah had to represent. Thus the dragon)

So, after some thought I decided to add a heart on the other side to help continue the string pattern.  Again looking good....until I got to the pesky middle section. No matter how I strung my string I just couldn't get it filled the way I liked.  It bunched up in places, looked bald in other places, and just not the look I was going for. So, plan C. I cut the board in two.

And the finished product.  Two boards to hang next to each other over our headboard.
 



I like it.  Usually when I get to this point after so much time and changes, I just take what I get.  I haven't hung it yet because I am waiting to get the headboard up.  That is story in and of itself for another day.  To be continued....

1 comment:

  1. It turned out so cool! I love the cursive font. Can't wait for more pictures!

    ReplyDelete