Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Appreciators

You gotta love grandparents. They are some of the only people who can handle the minute by minute recount of Life with Baby and I love they always listen attentively and appreciatively. They are "appreciators," as my mother-in-law calls herself. I find myself fascinated with the minutia of Jonah's life and I love that I have a captive audience with them. How he suddenly decided he wants to sleep on his side with his head crammed as far back as it can go or that after months of incessant drooling it has slowed now that his first 2 teeth have come in. How he always sticks his tongue out when he coughs and how he loves to laugh at the dog. I love that he almost always wakes up happy and likes to coo to himself for 15 minutes before he wants to get picked up. Or how his fists automatically go straight for Lucas' hair any time he wanders too close.

I love being a parent and watching first hand how a person learns and yet comes with so much pre-programmed. Jonah eats just like Lucas did (and still does), he snacks. He eats a little, gets distracted and then comes back when the hunger overcomes any other activity. Did he learn that from some idiosyncrasy of the way I feed him or did he come that way?

And I love how no matter what your child looks like, he could have a big round head and goofy hair, but you just know he is beautiful and has a smile that fills you like nothing else.


Starting the incredibly messy journey that is solid food.


Playing in what I call "ADD in a Box" or what Aaron calls "The OC," or Overstimulation Center. Jonah loves it and will play for what seems like hours, at least it feels that way when you're trying to make dinner.


The above mentioned awkward way to sleep.


Lucas teaching Jonah the fine art of watching Saturday morning cartoons.


I have always made these same minute observations, and still do, with Lucas, documented over the years in my 100 pages of "Lukey Updates" written for, who else, the appreciators who have always lived too far away. But he has come to an age that I don't think he would appreciate all my findings being shared with the world. He is easily embarrassed and kind of shy, like his mother. But don't worry grandparents, there are a few I have to share...just as soon as I get the pictures uploaded.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of Jonah sleeping what a silly sleeping pose. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your last paragraph - I don't blog, in large part because I'm not certain my kids would like me to broadcast every silly, entertaining, and potentially embarrassing moment that goes on in our house.

    ReplyDelete