Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Master of the House

This has been my latest project and one of my biggest. I actually started it last September and just now getting all the finishing touches.  Now I'm not taking all the blame for it taking quite so long.  I'll tell you why, but first here is the before of our master bedroom...

 
We've has the queen bed forever but Aaron wanted to upgrade to a king, thus the impetus to decorate the master.  But before I got pictures, our memory foam mattress came and we had no where else to put it but our floor.
 
 
View from the master bath.  I know.  You're wondering, "Does that kid ever wear pants?!"
No. Not really.
 
To start this decorating saga, I found a bed.  A teal bed. This one to be precise.
 
Now normally I am quite conservative with my color.  Especially with furniture.  Buy classic, neutral furniture that will outlast any trend that can be "colorfied" with accessories. But I found this bed and
wanted it. 
It was a great price and so I bought it. This got my creative juices flowing.
5 weeks later it arrived! Bu-ut came in the wrong color.
Sent it back with many a' frustration with Amazon
 (two boxes, one packing slip, 5 visits from UPS. Long story.)
Anyway, we reordered.
5 weeks later it arrived again!!  Bu-u-ut came with a different color and fabric headboard than the side boards.  Blerg.  I know.  First world problems.  Boo-hoo me.  But still chapped my hide. 
By this time, we'd had enough and just canceled the order.
But during the 10 weeks waiting on said bed, I had planned the entire room around it.  Teal, raspberry and gold.  A little crazy bold, right?  But I was loving it and I was SO sad the bed wasn't working.
Anyway, to make sum up, I decided to make a bed because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted and I could save $400..  Shopping for fabrics took a while because I then couldn't find a reasonably priced teal linen. 
But I did find navy blue.
And to try and not describe any more of my very long and tedious creative process, I basically changed my colors to navy, coral and gold. Resulting in said bedroom....
 

 We're going to hang the TV on the above wall for the 4-5x a year we watch TV in our bedroom. :)  (I guess he does wear pants every so often.)
 
I know it's still missing something.  A rug to ground it all or more lighting or something.  Not quite sure yet.   But I felt the need to post my projects and there is 'a many in this room. I thought I'd share the grand pics today and maybe break down a few projects tomorrow.

I painted both the lamp and the ceramic table.  I tried dyeing a slip cover for the chair. Twice. But it just did NOT work out as planned.  It's still coverless.  (I'll show you the two dyeing attempts so you can have a good laugh. Aaron is so patient with me. :)

I changed all the hardware from silver to gold with a little "Buff 'N Rub." Easy peasy.

The great 1960's dresser is a hand-me-down from my in laws and I still love the lines.  We put Aaron's in the corner of the closet for more room out here.
 
Someday we're going to literally gut this bathroom and start over.  The thought makes me giddy because I have divine marble/glass tile/double shower/claw-footed bathtub plans.  But that's a whole other can of worms not to be opened quite yet.



I added flowers from Michaels and made pillows with fabric from Spoonflower.

 I have fabric for a third colored pillow to add another layer of color and pattern but Aaron might protest. To him there is a very fine line between nice accents and this...
 
To him, it's just more work to get into bed and to make it in the morning.  We'll see.

I bought this golden owl from TJMaxx during their Halloween clearance sale last year for $3.  It's actually translucent and has an internal purple strobe light that you can turn on.  Can we say dance par-tay?!

I decided to put this mirror over the bed instead of the string art. Looks mucho better.
 
Again before....

And somewhat after. 

Tomorrow, or let's face it, sometime next week, I'll post a few of the projects I did.  And I'm gonna keep looking for the magic piece that will make this room feel complete to me.  It's not there yet.  So close...but not quite there.

Suggestions??

4 comments:

  1. Nat, you have GOT to be kidding. Your room looks amazing--like magazine-shoot amazing. I love love LOVE it. That bed is insane--so cool. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, that looks awesome!! I love the paneling you did with the wall and the bed is gorgeous. I'm so jealous of the kind size :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful, creative job you have done. I love where you have placed the bed and that each thing you have added is perfect. Keep up the great work. Tell the Crab, son of super Crab, that's it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful, creative job you have done. I love where you have placed the bed and that each thing you have added is perfect. Keep up the great work. Tell the Crab, son of super Crab, that's it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete