Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Project Rundown

When I decided to make the headboard and bed, my sister just shook her head and said, "O-of course you did." :)

I found a great tutorial on Addicted 2 Decorating, and yep, it was a lot of work but not complicated.  I cut my bed budget by half so I felt it was worth it.  Kristi, the tutorial lady, made a king sized bed so I just used all her measurements. You can check out her great tutorial {HERE.}


Hers


Mine
I bought a large plywood board at Home Depot, as cheap as I could get, and had them cut it to my measurements.  Love that!  Pieced and then glued 2 in. foam onto it. That was the most expensive part!  Foam core is not cheap people.   Even with a Joanns coupon.  Then I measured out my button holes.  I didn't want to do nearly as many tufts as the tutorial did, so I widened my lines and spread the buttons out even further.  I still ended up with 40!  I trimmed out the holes so that the fabric would lay deeper into the cushion. Tedious but it was the look I was going for.  Another tedious part was to cover all the fabric buttons.  And of course since I used thicker decorator's fabric, the buttons wouldn't snap together like they should.  So I ended up hot glueing them all.  Fun times.  But it went fast if you do it while your mindlessly watching a movie.

I just followed the tutorial by laying quilt batting on top of the foam, then laid down my navy linen and sweetly asked Aaron to help nail-gun the buttons in place. 

I hung the head board on the wall with this things-ma-jingy, making sure to screw at least two screws into the studs.  And it works perfectly.

Hangman Products HP-30 Heavy-Duty Mirror and Picture Hanger, Aluminum, 30-Inch

 


Instead of a box spring and bed frame we bought one of these.  Foam mattresses need a different support than a box spring and this works great.  Especially since the legs a re extra long and so instead of having 6 inches clearance under the bed, we have 14 inches to store our junk.
I finished off the bed by sewing strips of cloth and adhering them straight to the bed frame with sticky Velcro. 
 
 
And that, my friends, is our bed.
 
 
 
You might recognize the lamp from our family room..
 

But since the walls were white and the chair white, I wanted to changed it up a little.  I thought about spray painting the whole thing but then decided just to accent it.


Just taped it off and applied some of my good ol' Buff 'N Rub.  It's the same thing I did on the hardware of our nightstands and the bases of our IKEA lamps. 

Silver to gold.  Easy.

I was also looking for a small table to put next to our great reading chair.  I knew I wanted something like this....



But everything I looked at ranged from $90-$175 and everywhere in between.  More than what I wanted to spend,.  Then TJ Maxx sweeps in with a sweet find..  Rummaging through their clearance section I find this beauty for $39.95.

I had originally wanted it white, (I know, enough with the white) but with everything else being white, I knew I wanted to bring in a different color,  So I chose the navy blue.  Primed it with the grey and then gave a good 6-7 coats of the blue.
 
 
Not sure how I like the blue but both Aaron and Lucas said they like it, so it stays. 

 
I sewed the curtains.  Even lined them with black out fabric.  Love it!  Now I need to get some up in Jonah's room so he's not getting up at the crack of dawn.
.
.
.
.Ok, blog has decided not to load any more pictures tonight.  Ok, well. You know what the curtains look like.
I'll have to add the two slipcovers I went through trying to find a decent "coral" color.  Ended up being too much color for my taste.
 
Anyway, I'm tired.  My bed is calling.

4 comments:

  1. Bea-u-tiful! You always do such great before and afters and absolutely love love love the bed! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are seriously the most creative person I know. All of those projects look amazing. I have that same IKEA lamp and you've inspired me to snazz it up. Also, once you go foam you never go back - best decision ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A-MAZING. I felt tired just looking at the pictures of the headboard process. But it turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete