Monday, May 20, 2013

My Life & Times #1

A few weeks ago I was talking with a good friend about most embarrassing moments and I realized that I have just a few quality experiences in my life.  It got me thinking.  A lot of my experiences are most likely preserved in a journal somewhere, I'm sure. But others I'm not so sure.  So I decided to record them for all to enjoy. 

So, enjoy!

They will be written in no particular order or schedule.  :)

This first one comes from my second summer home from college.  My best friend Cherilyn and I were attending the local singles branch which ended up surprisingly to be really fun.  We had made a few friends and decided to attend a BBQ at the branch president's home.  We arrived and walked through the house to the backyard where everyone was eating and playing.  I walked out on the deck and saw friends playing football out in the yard.  I made the universal sign of "Pass it Here!" and started to slow-motion run across the deck just to be funny. (I know. I'm hilarious.)

Now here's the moment I do not remember, because I saw the edge of the deck, my mind said "stop," but my body just did not respond. I ended up head first over the side of the rail-less, 5 ft tall, deck straight into the 5 ft tall bushes.  And I was stuck, feet flailing, arms pinned.  And to my luck these particular bushes had 2 inch long thorns in them.  So not only was I stuck head first but I was punctured on all sides by this man eating monstrosity.  Of course friends came to my rescue, but it only made it worse.  Legs, feet, hair, arms were grabbed in attempts to set me free only to drive the thorns in deeper.  It didn't help I was laughing my head off out of embarrassment and the sheer absurdity of it all. 

I finally got pulled out.  And I remember nothing about the rest of the BBQ. . I must have blocked it all out.  I must have sat in a corner nursing my puncture wounds and my pride. 

I did not go on many dates that summer.

1 comment:

  1. Aaron says:

    First, men LOVE women who are willing to sacrifice themselves to catch a football. Second, in all the years we've been married, I don't think I've ever heard that story. It's certainly less embarrassing than me buying a Michael Jackson glove in 5th grade to try and impress a girl. Yeah, that worked out well.

    ReplyDelete