Saturday, November 20, 2010

Recycled Mirror

I bought this mirror 4 years ago at DI for $15. It was originally brown and was SUPER heavy, but I needed a large mirror for our dining room and I couldn't beat $15!  I painted it black, distressed it just a bit and the mirror worked well for the dining room, even after the makeover.

Well, 2 weeks ago we had to take it down because we were renovating our master bath. With the hammering and knocking down of the opposite wall, we were worried this monster would come crashing down. So with it leaning against the wall for 2 weeks, I started to get ideas...


Aaron really helped me with this one and we decided to take out the extra heavy glass mirror. (Those are Jonah's handprints above. Go figure.)  The backing was a thick, smooth backer board, so Aaron cut it down to size to fit in the frame and I painted it with a couple coats of chalk board paint. I painted the frame white, of course, the same white as our kitchen cabinets. And up it went on the kitchen wall.



I love mirrors, especially in this house ,because it brings in more light and gives the illusion of more space.  I did find another fabulous DI mirror for $10 that I refinished but I like it best on the mantel.  I'll get pictures of that as soon as I figure out all the do-da's that will go with it.

I'll be rearranging a few mirrors from other walls because the bare one in the dining room is really missing something. But I love this one as a chalkboard better.   What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. SO cute and what a clever idea! I recently saw this design blog where they did their entire wall as a chalkboard, crazy. (PS: Thanks for adding me again on FB, my old profile got hacked (I think) so I had to start another one, ugh!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. I love it! I especially love the notes under Lucas and Jonah's names. cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So shnazzy! I love that you're always redoing and reusing things to make your home beautiful. I think using so much white (chalkboard/chair/pillows) makes everything look extra fresh and inviting. Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the white chalk board. It is always nice to have somewhere to put up notes! I also love that you are always refreshing your home. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did good! I love projects such as this. Keep'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The chair and the chalkboard both look amazing. I love your transformations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I'm so so impressed. I need you to come over to my house and let me tell you a few of my ideas I have with some furniture we own and you can tell me if they're good or not.

    PS- I love the notes under the names on your board, especially Jonah's. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally cute and awesome! Another credit to your talent!

    ReplyDelete