Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Punkin Chunkin 2010"

This Mythbuster Thanksgiving Special, that Lucas and our nephew Jack love, took on new meaning for me this year.  It all started the Saturday before we were supposed to leave for Arizona to enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday with lots of family, sun and food. About mid-morning on Saturday, Jonah got sick.  Nothing too serious, just throwing up every few hours.  He would eat a little and then throw up, repeat.   It continued through Sunday, though again he didn't act miserable. He would play, eat a little and just before it all came back up, he gratefully would emit a high pitched scream to warn & prepare us of the oncoming mess.  He reminded me of the Fire Swamp in The Princess Bride.  It wasn't so bad now that we knew what to look for, like the popping sounds before the ground spewed fire.

By Monday we took him to the doctor who diagnosed a viral stomach problem but that he should be fine.   All afternoon and night, JB was just peachy.  Then Lucas woke us up in the middle of the night by throwing up in our doorway.  We seriously talked about not going to Arizona and risk spreading this to the whole family.  But by Tuesday morning when we were to leave for Arizona, all was better.  Lucas felt good, Jonah was happy and hungry, and Aaron and I felt like the worst was behind us.  I know.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

We all did great until standing in line on the jet way waiting to get on the plane. Jonah, who had been running around as happy as could be just moments before, started to let out a high pitched scream.  Aaron and I looked at each other, No. No! NO!  But yes, Jonah erupted all over Aaron and the jet way.  People were kind but appalled and gave us many pitying looks.  We cleaned up as best we could and went to the far back reaches of the plane to get away from anyone who saw the first explosion.  The plane ride did not go well.  Without going into details, let's just say that by the end of the flight he had lost it twice more, Aaron and I were both completely soaked, Jonah was naked and we all stank to high heaven.  Yes, it was bad.  Both Aaron and I were on the verge of losing it ourselves, so nauseated with no were to go.  My dad and Jack picked us up at the airport and we somehow made it to Prescott with no further incident until...

Our brother-in-law just a few hours later joined in the sickness.  But his was different. This was an awful, violent, we-thought-he-had-food-poisoning kind of sick.  Alas, he didn't.  People started dropping like flies.  First my dad, then our baby nephew Pax, then our niece, then my sister, then my mom, then my other sister.   Dad completely missed Thanksgiving, we all missed the family reunion and we missed our cousin's wedding. 

Now I want everyone to know I am NOT taking the fall for the violent stomach strain.  Ours was very mild where JB was the only one who threw up more than 3 times and Aaron and I only just felt like it for a day and nothing more.  I lay this Thanksgiving debacle completely at the feet of my brother-in-law Geoff.  It must of been some kind of mutant policeman flu he picked up from one of his druggie arrests.  :)

And I don't even know who started the strain of strep throat 9 out of 15 of us brought home with them once the stomach bug ran its course. (Yes, 9 people now have strep too. It's ALMOST funny.)

But amid the great disappointment of the missed events, we still managed to play cards, eat too much (those who could) and have some wonderful time just talking and visiting.   Family makes me smile and I love being with them, sick and all.  So if I had to be stuck in a house with sickies for an entire week, I wouldn't want those sickies to be anyone else.

Jonah just minutes before the doomed plane ride.  His eyes look tired but nothing else gave away the misery he was planning.

Lucas in happier times, playing in the AMAZING sand table my dad and Uncle Lloyd made for the backyard.  Many happy hours were spent building dams and drudging rivers.


More to come.  My goal is to get completely caught up with blogging before we leave for Utah and Christmas.  That only leaves two weeks!

8 comments:

  1. =( that plane ride sounds awful. I am glad you could look on the bright side of things. I hope Christmas is a lot healthier for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH, that is about the worst nightmare "vacation" I have ever heard of. How can you even BEGIN to start laughing about that so soon????

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a fantastic story. That is like one you watch in a movie or make up. Thanks for being willing and ready to share it. Wow. I think you have had your fair share of the stomach bug this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is a perfect reminder of why I have nothing to complain about. Here's hoping your Christmas is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! When I ran in to Aaron at the Church earlier this week and he mentioned you guys dealt with stomach flu over Thanksgiving, I had no idea it was that bad. I'm sorry! I hope your Christmas trip is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That plane ride sounds absolutely awful. Oh dear me...not fun! So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do hope that your Christmas experience is a better one health-wise than the AZ one. Especially since this is from the Christmas Grandma. I see that you can smile about things now. Has Aaron smiled about it yet? I do remember the car trip from Indiana to Ohio when Aaron was an infant. As we pulled into my parents' drive, Aaron threw up all over me and his "urp" was dripping from my nose and all over my newly dry cleaned coat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Natalie, I'm sorry, but your post made me laugh. It was all your writing that did it to me. I do have pity for the sickness that you all endured, but I had to chuckle through this funny post. I'm glad you can look at it with a little comedy. Love you cousin and loved seeing you at the reception.

    ReplyDelete