Monday, September 20, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No-good, Very-bad Day

Poor kid. Lucas had a rough morning and I have to admit I was ready to scoot him out the door for school. It all started out fine but early, as we got a call at 6am regarding a financial detail from the ward clerk and we were all up a running, well not running, but awake by 6:30am. Anyway, Lucas' descent into utter frustration began when it was time for piano. We switched practices from after school to before school and he thought he wouldn't have to practice since it was lesson day. No such luck and he was not happy. Then he found out he had theory work to finish and then not the 2 pages he thought but 6! Then the dog peed (we think Cotton is having kidney problems. Getting him tested right now.) on his favorite project from animation camp and while we were cleaning that mess, Jonah colored all over the cover of the family scrapbook he's been working on all week for school. Then his yo-yo got all tangled and is stuck in knots, he couldn't find his toothbrush since Jonah LOVES toothbrushes and absconds them daily, and we couldn't find matching socks so he had to wear a pair of his father's. There were hugs and assurances that life was going to get better today but I don't know if they were believed.


I don't want to tell him that my morning hasn't gotten much better. I tried making German pancakes for breakfast but something spilled in the oven I guess last time I used it and the house is now filled with smoke. I let Jonah play in the sink to get him out of my hair and I didn't see 2 glasses under a metal bowl which are now in shards. Luckily JB was not cut by either. He just is yelling, "Dude! I wet!" as he soaks the front of his shirt. (He gets the "dude" from me. I can't believe how often that comes out of my mouth, usually as an exclamation to one Jonah mess or another. I have to admit Jonah did inadvertently learn "family jewels" from Aaron last week as he awkwardly rolled over Aaron while we rested on the bed. Of course, he kept saying it because of the reaction he got from all of us.)


Well, I better go. I'm gonna stick Jonah in a warm bath since his lips are blue due to being soaked from head to toe with cold sink water and the back door being open to let out all the smoke. Today is officially laundry day since I haven't been caught up with laundry for 2 weeks. Life as usual.



PS To help Luke keep things in perspective I think I'll show him this picture taken last night of Aaron's Aunt Myrna and Uncle Jim's home in Herriman, Utah. They were/are ravaged with a wildfire this weekend.

Can you believe that they woke up this morning to see their house still standing and unburned? What a miracle and tender mercy from the Lord! Not everyone in their neighborhood was so lucky and our prayers are with them. To see and hear about such tragedies keep the dirty oven and broken glasses where they should be, just a nuisance.



PPS For those of you who were around in the olden days, the above picture is the exact stance our 4-year-old Lucas took for his famous "Only FOOLS bathe 3 times a week!" speech.

6 comments:

  1. wowzers! I hope your day goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your morning. I hope your (and Lucas') day got better by the afternoon. And, I'm happy to hear your family in Herriman is okay. We have a lot of friends out there too, that luckily are all okay today. What a crazy night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! We love you all tons. Unfortunately, we can totally relate to mornings like that. I wish that seeing others' "real trials" like that horrible fire helped me actually handle the little nuisances in my life better, but alas... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! What a crazy day! I hope Lucas had a better day at school. I laughed out loud picturing Jonah saying "family jewels" after rolling over Aaron. Too funny. He is a funny boy (not to mention super cute) and seems to keep you all very busy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that definitely is a bad day. I can't believe that last picture & that their house was not burned. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahahaha! You are a great writer Natalie! And a great Mom. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete