Monday, January 11, 2010

Chi-town (only tourists call it that)

I know my 6 die hard readers (5 of which are family) have been oh-so-eager for my blogging return. I've been too lazy to get back into it yet but today (after a gentle reminder from my dear mother in law) I thought I'd get back on the horse.

One of my projects last month was this wall hanging I wanted to copy from Red Letter Words. I had been looking for something new to do and when I saw these, in the words of one of my favorite craft queens Victoria, I thought to myself "I could make that." My parents moved from Chicago a year or so ago after 35 years so I thought Chicago themed art would be perfect for their new game room. So I bought some 14x16 canvases on sale at Michael's and had paint already at home. All I needed (wanted) was a paper cutting machine so I wouldn't have to do each letter by hand. After trolling friends to borrow one with no success, I ended up buying myself a Cricut on Black Friday. Merry Christmas to me! Super fun. To me at least.

So to start, I taped butcher paper to the top of the canvas and penciled in where I wanted the words to go. I then started to cut out the words with the machine, changing font sizes and moving things around as I went.

Then I glued the letters straight onto the canvas with just a glue stick and then brushed the whole thing with a thin layer of polyurethane so the letters would stay put and the paint wouldn't bleed underneath. (A great tip from Victoria!) Then went to town with a little black paint.

Afterwards just peeled off the letters with some tweezers. The wording looked a little stark, a little too clean, so I brushed a touch of black paint over them to rough it up a bit. And done. It was my first attempt and I learned a few things. I made one for my sister, I thought to use thin plastic instead of paper to do the letters and they came off like butter. I feel badly my parents and sister got my first attempts at this but I ran out of time to do any more. I know the letters are a little crooked (my sister's came out straighter) and I would have changed some of the spacing. Maybe added another site or two. But overall I like 'em. I want to make a bigger one for my (being redecorated for the last 4 months but I am creatively and completely stuck) dining room but I haven't decided what city I am going to do. Chicago where I grew up? Seattle where I've spent the majority of my married life? Buenas Aires where my hubby and I spent our missions (different times)? Maybe a set of three? Who knows.


Oh ya... I sewed these crazy pants for Lucas and our nephew Jackson for Christmas. Lucas loves them as I knew he would (see this post) but I'm not so sure about Jack. I made matching pillow cases as well so hopefully that will fly better with him.

6 comments:

  1. I think they turned out nice! Way to follow Victoria and do it yourself. You totally confirmed the saying "I can make that!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are AWESOME! When did you become CRAFTINA? OK, I will TOTALLY pay you to make me a Seattle one. And I vote that you do a Chicago, Seattle, Buenas Aires trio for your Dining Room. When can we get together? I miss you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have more than six readers! You are so crafty and I love the "city boards". I'd love to have you make one for Baltimore...Do I hear an etsy shop popping up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I had to delete my last post for a typo. Silly, but I couldn't let it just hang out there.

    I'm a die hard reader! I love the wall hangings. What a perfect gift for you parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. como pasa el tiempo, que grandes y hermosos que estan tus hijos promrto mandarte fotos de los mios Roxana

    ReplyDelete