Monday, December 7, 2009

Getting my craftiness on...

My friend Ali came over last week and we made these burlap Christmas wreaths found here. (My first link. Man, I am getting fancy.) It was fast, inexpensive and super easy. The burlap made a mess but I think they turned out pretty cute.



I hung it up on the door and for the rest of the day every time I walked inside I grabbed the scissors and gave it a little trim. Looks so much better with the haircut. Maybe some more off the bottom...



Last week I painted the door, just on a whim. For years I've just been putting layers of polyurethane over the wood as it got worn down. Didn't look spectacular but it was cheaper than having it completely refinished and I loved the wood color with our blue house. Before Thanksgiving I realized it needed another treatment, but this time the finish dried clouded and white instead of clear. Maybe it was the cold or the rain, not sure. I sanded it down to try again but it only made it worse. So I whipped out the primer I was already using for the cabinet I am refinishing and went for it. I went through our shelves of left over paint and grabbed colors that might have worked. Out of the McDonald's yellow, navy blue or grey we had on hand, grey easily won out. We'll keep it this color for a while, see if we like it. (I love Cotton's little face peeking out the window.)


Keeping Jonah entertained so we could work. He LOVED the chocolate graham crackers!


More projects to come...

4 comments:

  1. ew, yours looks SO much better than mine! And I do love it trimmed up...maybe mine needs another hair cut! Also, your door looks great. You are so good as utilizing what you've got around the house to finish your projects. way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job on the projects. I am excited to see the cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the wreath and the door is lovely. Keep up the great work, Nat. How could that baby be any cuter? I keep going back to the picture of daddy and Jonah asleep. How precious. I can't wait to see the cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've got a few projects that need to be finished around here, too. Wanna come for a visit????? I love the wreath and door. And the crown molding from your other post, too. You are the wind beneath my wings.

    ReplyDelete