Friday, December 11, 2009

Decking the Halls

I'm not a big holiday decorator. Surprising I know:) But half the decorations I have for any holiday come from my mother who sent them to help decorate my dorm room in college. I may pick up an item here or there at the half-off after the season sale or like this year, actually make something. See wreath below. Or the three wooden snowmen our whole ward made at Enrichment years ago. The most decorations I have are for Christmas and even then it's not much to look at. Aaron is of the opinion, why put up Christmas lights on your house if your just going to have to climb back up a month later to take them down? But we do put up a tree, a few nativity sets, and a random Santa Claus here and there. This was our first artificial tree, which we bought at a half-off after sale last year, and even I have to admit it was nice just putting the three sections together and calling it good. No, there isn't that wonderful pine smell that fills the house for a few days, but it was nice not having leave the house. (Another sign of getting old.)

The tree may be small but it fits perfectly in our little living room. I do love putting up the ornaments because most of them have a story or memory behind them.



I have to find a new tree skirt that will fit the different kind of stand. Again, the after-the-holiday sales is where I will find the cheapest, I mean, perfect one.


Each year Lucas has picked out a new ornament for the tree. Whatever he wants. One year it was a Spiderman, another year a snowman, another a random metal key. This year we discovered a new store, Wights, well, new to us since it's been around for years. But a wonderful Christmas shop with hundreds of ornaments to choose from. I loved adding Jonah to the tradition and finding just the right ornament for his first Christmas. I don't know how much Lucas and Aaron liked it since I took "FOR-E-VER" (Sandlot reference for Lucas) trying to find just the right one. I think I was looking for something to sum up all of what Jonah's first wonderful year has meant to us, the miracle and joy, his spirit and life. Tall order for a Christmas tree ornament. So I finally just picked one. Simple and perfect.





Lucas picked a fuzzy penguin.



We may not go all Griswald in our decorating, but don't think we're scrooge. We have enough Christmas traditions - pinatas, talent shows, Secret Santas, gingerbread houses, nativities, the list goes on - that any child or adult would get excited for this wonderful season.



And we do. Merry Christmas!

1 comment: