Friday, November 20, 2009

To antique or not antique

That is my question. I found these two pieces at one of my favorite stores, Goodwill. I picked up the rocking horse right away but couldn't commit to the funny looking chair. I knew it was a perfect Jonah size but I kept putting it back. I must have walked down the aisle, picked it up and put it back about 3 times. But then as soon as SOMEONE ELSE started seriously looking at "my" funny looking chair, the rare competitive side of me came out and I just HAD to have it. So as soon as the innocent shopper set down the chair and slowly walked away, I swooped in and ran for the register.



I sanded and primed (I started the priming before I remember I wanted a picture) and then spray painted them a soft white. I made a padded seat from materials I had on hand for the rocking chair and called it good. Pretty cute for just a few bucks. But now I wonder if I should "antique" them, add a little personality. Basically that means sand down edges, stain them darker so they will stand out and rub on a brown glaze to take the newness off. Should I do it or just leave them as is?




Thoughts?

10 comments:

  1. I thought they looked cute as they are when I saw them today. Good job on redoing them! You have a knack for making cute things just so you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! I think they would look good either way depending on what the rest of your decor is. You can do clean white or rustic and they would both look great! I wish I was this crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go natalie! I think they are cute...they would be cute antiqued too....so I guess I'm not of much help. Thanks for the pictures! I love to see what other people are working on :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree they are cute either way, but if I must have an opinion I think it would look cute to antique them just a bit. I am so glad you picked up the chair. I was unsure as well in the before shot, but the after is amazing! Every kid should have a little seat like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it, and I vote NOT to antique. Why work harder when it's already super cute? Well done, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, the white is darling, but I think the antiquing would make it even cuter. I can't wait to see Jonah on them TOMORROW! Hurray! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute Natalie! I love it that it is different. That makes it cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...Wow...I'm very impressed...way to go, Natalie! They look amazing. I think they're super cute as is, but I'm sure they'd look great if you antiqued them too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I vote NO on antiquing them! Good scores!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable, Martha Stewart! I LOVE the rocking chair. And I vote no on antiquing--Jonah will do his own antiquing, no doubt...

    ReplyDelete