Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Life & Times #5

This happened when I was a teacher at the MTC.  I cannot remember which district it was or how long I was teaching, but this little snafu occurred during a vocabulary lesson.

The way vocab was taught when I was there oh-so-many years ago was that we wrote the Spanish words on the board, then while the missionaries stood, the teacher yelled each word in English or Spanish and the missionaries always repeated the word in Spanish.  We yelled I guess because it kept them focused and attentive??

For example: the word in this little scenario was "descanzo."

I yelled out "Desanzo!"

Missionaries: "Descanzo!"

I would yell it in English: "To take a break or a rest!"

Missionaries: "Descanzo!"

Me: "Rest!"

Missionaries: "Descanzo!"

Me: "Break!"

Missionaries: "Descanzo!"

Me: "Rest!"

Missionaries: "Descanzo!"

Me: "BREAST!"

Missionaries: .......*crickets chirping*

Not knowing how to react, I just silently turned myself to face the black board.

Then there was a stifled laugh.  And everyone busted up.  

I had yelled "BREAST!" to a group of little missionaries and no one just went with it.  They had to call me out with their complete silence.  I don't know who's face was more red, mine or theirs.



 One good thing: I doubt they ever forgot what "descanzo" meant.

3 comments:

  1. This is my favorite story of all time...would that I could've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved *crickets chirping*. I'm still chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course they never forgot. It means "breast".

    ReplyDelete