Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Life & Times #2

A few weeks ago I was talking with a good friend about most embarrassing moments and I realized that I have just a few quality experiences in my life.  It got me thinking.  A lot of my experiences are most likely preserved in a journal somewhere, I'm sure. But others I'm not so sure.  So I decided to record them for all to enjoy. 

So, enjoy!

They will be written in no particular order or schedule.  :)

This one happened right after Lucas was born.  It must have been in the first few weeks after we made it to church. 

I was in the Primary presidency and was up front conducting.  Aaron taught the CTR 7's so sat in the back with his class.  I announced the closing song and prayer. The song happened to be "A Child's Prayer," one of my favorites.  As we sang, Aaron holds up tiny, tiny Lucas and faces him toward me just to be cute.  With my mothering instincts in high gear and feeling tender, I start to tear up. Nothing dramatic. Just so blessed and so grateful for my new little family. 

Well.  That's when the post-partum hormones, nursing trauma and lack of sleep kick in, and the graceful, touching tear or two turn into the ugly cry.  And I mean The Ugly Cry.  And I can't stop.  All of my emotions just coming pouring out my face and I can not stop.  The song ends and when I should have just looked over to another leader to finish out the meeting, I try to stand up and compose myself.  I can not.  Physically and emotionally, it just is not possible. So I'm trying to dismiss classes with a bunch of pointing and grunting but it's not really working.  Everyone is just staring at the crazy lady.

One 6 year old (Braden McClusky :), looks at me with literal disgust and confusion on his face, points to me yells, "What's the matter with HER?!"   I'm laughing now, a cackling, scary type of laughter that just freaks people out even more.  Teachers got the hint and cleared people out, leaving me to my cathartic outburst. 

Aaron came over and hugged me, saying "I'm so sorry. I did not mean to do that to you."

All I could do was laugh and pretend I wasn't humiliated in front of the whole primary.  Of course everyone was super nice and comforting about it and I think most of the kids just forgot about it the next week.  My only casualty is I don't think Braden McClusky ever looked at me the same again.  Poor kid. 

No comments:

Post a Comment