Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Breakfast of Champions



At least for my little champions.  Both boys are pi-cky.  With a capitol P.   I do not know where they get it from?!   Oh wait.  Their mother was the pickiest girl ever who wouldn't eat pizza until she was 13, potatoes until she 15 and Mexican food until she was 30.  They have an empathetic ear. Or mouth?  Anyway...

Now a days, I try anything to get a little protein into Jonah especially.  Lord Doritos, himself.

My mom had worked for weeks to figure out "her" pancake recipe.  And her work paid off.  She makes wonderful pancakes that all the family agrees could be eaten & enjoyed alone!

Then my sister took my mom's recipe and healthi-fied it.  Adding all her Oregon-of-the-Earth stuff and it still was good.  :) Now I've adopted it since I work to get any nutrients I can into Jonah.

It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but once I bought and gathered all of them, they last a long time.  This recipe makes A LOT of pancakes, at least for our family.  I just keep all of them in a Ziploc bag and they get eaten for a few days as breakfast and after school snacks.

In a large bowl, mix:

3 cups flour (wheat, oat, or white, or combination of any)  I always use at least half whole wheat.
1/4 cup sugar (or 1/4 cup Truvia or add 1/4 cup honey or brown sugar to wet mixture)
2 Tbs baking powder
2 scoops protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
Good dash of salt

Mix well in a separate bowl:

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp flax seed oil
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Optional: 1/2- 1 cup apple sauce, banana, cauliflower or sweet potato puree

Combine dry with wet mixture and add milk or water or buttermilk until desired consistency.  Again because I'm trying to get as many calories I can into this kid, I usually use whole milk.

Also because it's Jonah (and Lucas...and me), I add a few mini chocolate chips to sweeten the deal.

Good thing about this recipe is that it's flexible and I use what I have on hand.  But I always try to have almond extract on hand because it really adds a great flavor.

I can get almost always get at least 3-5 bites out of Senor I-Don't-Know-How-He-Survives before he just digs around for the chocolate chips.

So his mother's child.

3 comments:

  1. Nelson is a picky eater. I give him half and half with carnation instant breakfast in it, I call it chocolate milk. I figure at least he is getting alot of calories and nutrients. Sigh! These picky eaters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Black bean brownies--make them all of the time and kids can't tell the difference.

    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2008/06/black-bean-brownies-2-pts.html

    Ghiradelli brownie mix has been the best mix we have tried thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds VERY familiar. Who does that remind me of? .... Oh, ME! I just might try that! It sounds DELICIOUS! Love you Nat!
    -Julia W.

    ReplyDelete