Thursday, January 20, 2011

Final transformation complete

Well, it's official.  I have made the complete transition to the dark side.  I've been slowly becoming the stereotypical Suburban Soccer Mom for years now.  Each new season bringing me closer to inevitable.   It started with weekly playgroups, story time at the library and stroller walks around Greenlake, progressed to volunteering on the PTA, making freezer jam and dehydrating fruit my own fruit leather, and then escalating to keeping a "mommy blog," carpooling to and from soccer/basketball/tai kwon do and going to the store directly from the gym thinking throwing a hat and fleece will dress up my workout clothes enough to be acceptable.
This week we added the final touch to complete my total transformation.   The Mini Van. 

I held out as long as could, vowing never to own one.  Ever.  But as I accepted all these others things in my life, I realized I could never resist forever.  My loathing for such a vehicle has developed into a love of space, storage and more space.  And I reluctantly admit, I l.o.v.e. it.  I love it's plethora of cup holders and power doors that close by themselves. I love the seats that stow away so easily, I LOVE the tushy warmers (that really sealed the deal for me) and I love I upped my seat ante for carpools and youth activities.

I guess I have embodied everything that makes me a suburban soccer mom.  And I guess I love it.

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the dark side, my friend. I think you'll find that you quite like it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mean a fleece and hat really doesn't disguise my work out clothes? Bummer...welcome to the minivan club. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo! J/k :P Have you done a post about how to do your own fruit leather? Because I really think you should, that sounds cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new car. It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your van! It's very nice. Congrats on the transformation. You've done it with style. :-) P.S. We need to do some more walks around Greenlake (because that's what soccer moms do). I think we have some sunny days up ahead. Let's plan a morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post because I've always fought against becoming the soccer mom too! When you describe it this way, the soccer mom sounds like the best mom ever and what's wrong with that? I think I'm gradually moving towards that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to feel the same way about the mini van. I now embrace. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete