Saturday, October 9, 2010

Drunk on Chocolate

A few weeks ago I had a wonderful day. Now, lots of days are wonderful for many different reasons but this one was earns a blog post. For Julia's birthday I signed us up for a class. Not just any class...a class on chocolate. As her surprise, Logan flew her out specially for a day and the husbands took over the children and home so we could play and shop and eat chocolate. Sweet, thoughtful men and best husbands ever.

So to begin, Julia flew out around noon and off we went to Bellevue. First we stopped for salads at The Cheesecake Factory. Julia's, as she stated, was apparently in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month.

We then shopped, talked, bought little trinkets, and got makeovers at the MAC counter from a lady who treated us with contempt because we didn't know how important eye shadow base was. Life behind a makeup counter must be hard, dealing with such idiots all day long.

At 6pm we finally arrived to the main event. Oh! Chocolate chocolate class. Glory, hallelujah!

We started off with a taste of Brazilian sipping chocolate, which basically was a melted candy bar in a cup. (Yes family, the normal way I like my hot chocolate.) The owners talked about how their grandparents started the business, which was fascinating. Great story. Then we progressed to a plate of different chocolates where we were forced to try each kind as the owner talked us through how each was made and the best type of recipes to use them in.

And then after being taught how to temper the chocolate, we were let loose. With cups and cups of melted chocolate, we hand dipped strawberries, raspberries, marshmallows, oreos, potato chips, graham crackers and more to heart's content.




Pure heaven...


Early on I apparently got into my work and wore it for the entire night. Can you say mortified?





We got to take our home our literally 10 lb box of hand dipped chocolates. The gift that kept on giving.
Can we say awkward picture?! I had just discovered my chocolate-laden chest and Julia made me memorialize the embarrassing evidence of my chocolate-drunken sloppiness.

Oh! Chocolate, we love you...

5 comments:

  1. Love the "awareness" salad, so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd think a 10-lb box of chocolate would last a little longer...ahhhhh, a day to remember! Thanks for the memories!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dream day. And you know my chest would've looked the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many comments...love the salad in honor of breast cancer "awareness"...too funny! I'm laughing at the make-up lady with the really hard job and I'm dying over this chocolate "class". Sign me up! I guess the chocolate class also had some un-intended "awareness" factored into it. Love it! Sounds like such a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun! What a great and delicious day!

    ReplyDelete