Thursday, July 1, 2010

Little Mr. Independence

Jonah (aka JB, Jonut, Little B, Disaster) turned 18 months on June 30th. C.R.A.Z.Y.


I've been coming back to this post all week so I have a random collection of thoughts and things I love about this kid.

He is one that expresses his opinion and lets me know what he wants or doesn't want in the primitive form of screeching. For example, we tried to go for a walk the other day. He LOVES being outside and will spend hours playing in the backyard moving sticks and eating leaves. So I decided to have him walk himself around the block. Yet any time I go forward, he wants to go backward. Any time I want to turn a corner, he wants to turn the other way. He screeched when he wanted to hold the dog's leash. he screeched when the dog was too strong and didn't go where he wanted. He screeched when I tried to help him hold the leash so he wouldn't be dragged down the street. He screeched when the dog pulled him over and he landed flat on his face. He screeched again when I took the leash from him. I have to admit we only made it 200 yards before we turned around, both of us screeching and went home.

So yes, he has quite the independent streak in him. He has to feed himself, take the keys out to the car, walk the way he wants to go, close doors by himself, he would even push himself in the grocery cart if he could. There are times he screeches when I have my hands on the cart too, not quite putting it together I have to push in order for us to go.

Case in point, Lucas was riding bikes out front. Of course, Jonah wanted to ride too.


But then he still wasn't happy until Lucas completely let go of him so he could "ride" himself.


Unprompted, he started folding his arms during prayers and we get a resounding, "Yea!" whenever we finish.

Jonah is a climber and has perfected pushing the chair up to the counters or computer table, literally bringing his havoc to new heights.



Jonah loves babies, so I bought him a baby doll a few weeks ago. I know. Everyone has their different opinion about boys and dolls. Even the cashier at the store said, "Is this doll for you?! You're a boy. You don't play with dolls." Me, being me, I just smiled and thanked her for my receipt and then told her nicely to "Shut up." In my head. I don't care what anyone says, he loves his baby. He cuddles him, lays him down to go "night-night," and sings to him. He plays with his swords and balls lots more than his baby but I know he has a soft spot for him.

Jonah continues in his babbling. He says about 20 words including sounds effects to about 7-8 animals. My favorite being the lion because he always whispers the "roar." Why, I do not know.


Key to recent Jonah Speak
Pacifier: "choopie" (we call it chupe, Spanish)
Cock-a-doodle-doo: "Do-do-DOOO!"
Please: "Pea"
Pj's: "Peas"
Thank you: "Kankoo"
Anything he really likes: "Cool."
I want up on this couch: "Screech. Screech. Screech."

For months every time we asked him to say "Lucas," Jonah would respond "Doggie." Then after that, any time we asked him to say "Lucas" we would get just silence. Nothing. And then out of the blue he started saying "Gookey." And he sure loves his "Gookey." he wants to do everything his older brother does. Lucas is sitting on the floor, Jonah goes and sits on the floor. Lucas is reading a book, Jonah grabs his book and sits next to him.




Love this kid, even if he still prefers dog food to my cooking and keeps trying to change the password on my computer. We'll keep him.


Especially now that we've made it to Nursery!

7 comments:

  1. Jonah sure is a cutie! I loved having him over the other week. We'll have to do it again sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was cracking up with this post. What a fun age. It only gets cuter and cuter in the coming years. Enjoy Cousin. Being a Mom is the very best. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! He is such a cute boy! I love the screeching. I'm sure though you're done with the screeching by about 9 am on any given day. :-) On a happier note...Yeah! He is officially in nursery! Yippeee! Wahoooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. The pictures are fantastic. Your boys are gorgeous. And you know how I feel about boys having dolls. :) I can't wait to get my hands on him on Sunday, even with the screeching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to making it nursery! And congrats for keeping your sanity =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so funny! I miss having a screecher around. Sometimes it isn't as nice when they can tell you what they are actually thinking of you. ;)

    I want to know what Genet feels about boys and dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me laugh. JB is HILARIOUS and adorable. Happy 18 months, little man!

    ReplyDelete