Saturday, November 12, 2011

11.7.11

Amazing week in Arizona.  Not only did I get 5 days of sun, 5 days of being with family, but I got to be with my Amanda and Geoff at the birth of their second daughter.

My little sister was originally due on Oct 31st, which is a little uncanny because their first daughter was born on Oct 31st four years earlier.  (We have a holiday thing going on. My sister Amanda was born on Christmas, my sister Genet was born on the 4th of July, and my niece Katherine was born on Halloween. And last and maybe least, I was born on May 19th. The date that sometimes falls on Arbor Day, for those not in the know:)

I was coming out on Nov 5th to help with the recovery and basically to play with the new baby.  But the kid was determined to wait for me to come.  I arrived on November 5th with still no baby.  So Sunday the 6th, Amanda went in to get slowly induced.  But when she got to hospital Sunday night, she was already underway.  Things progressed faster than she thought and so Monday morning we got a call saying my mom and I had better get our little selves down to the hospital cause this baby was a comin'.   We dropped Jonah and Katherine at a friend's home and off we went.  Running from the parking lot, we made it to the birth with ten minutes to spare. 

I have to admit, I 've never been at a birth from that angle before.  Aah-mazing.  And moving.  And a miracle. And awful.  Truly there is no dignity in child birth.  But Amanda was strong and beautiful even though the birth was much more difficult than her last.  Thank you for letting be there!!

After an hour of pushing and coming out face up, little baby Genevieve arrived looking like she had been in a street fight. 
November 7, 2011
9:37 am, 7lbs 13 oz and 21.5 in

Proud papa of two beautiful girls.

So much dark hair!



Katherine, Amanda and Geoff's 4 year old, was anxiously waiting for news of her new baby.   I called to let the sitter know all was well and when we would be coming to get the kids.  Cristen said as soon as she told Katherine her baby sister had arrived, she knelt on the floor and bawled.  What a sweetie!
Now Katherine might look innocent in these pictures, but she was quite possessive of her "Baby Genevieve."  She had many rules...no, laws for those who wanted to even think about approaching her baby.  At four years old, this girl knows she is The Big Sister and wants to be in charge of everything Genevieve related.  Amanda had to remind her many times who the mother actually was in this family.

She will teach Genevieve all things princess in no time.

Jonah said the baby was, "SO cute!"  But quickly lost interest in favor of the rubber gloves found on the wall in the recovery room. 

Once she was home, he would whisper to her and want to hold her.  Of course, all by himself. And got mad at me if I tried to save her head from falling backwards and that I had the audacity to actually touch the baby while she was in her arms. 
Amanda was doing great, sore and tired, but hanging in there and just so excited to be blessed with this perfect, new child after 4 years of trying.

Aren't those lips amazing?

She actually looks close to a smile.

Yes. I took almost over 100 pictures of the week together.  I couldn't help myself. :)

Genevieve looks exactly like Katherine.  Those girls are definitely sisters.

I know I was there to help clean and cook and help with Katherine, but I just couldn't help myself from snuggling with this sweet girl for hours on end.  She comforts a place in me that aches from not being able to have more babies of my own.  I love being an aunt and claiming that adorable baby as part mine!  Thanks for sharing, Katherine!  I know it was difficult. :)

I can't wait to go back at Christmas time and see how much she has grown.

4 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how grateful I am that you came! Your post is exactly how I would describe the labor - amazing, a miracle, and totally stripped me of all dignity!! Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! And that hair!!! So cool that you could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting to get to witness the birth! What a beautiful baby and adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful experience to be a part of!

    ReplyDelete